Monday, November 3, 2008

O'Malley & Pierce Portfolio Assessment

Reading this article has informed me much about portfolio assessment. The article mentioned that portfolio assessments help students to monitor their own learning progress and help them to become responsible with their learning goals. I have never used portfolios for any of my students in Yup'ik. At this point, I'm thinking to want to experience with a grade group using portfolios to possibly discover positive uses for my students and to make improvements with instruction and assessment activities. If I choose it, I am envisioning more parent involvement as home collaborators to help their child(ren) progress in the Yup'ik language. If you are someone who had portfolio experiences, please share your story.

3 comments:

sarahbass said...

Hi theresa!
I have done student portfolios. The exciting part of this has always been sharing with the parents during parent teacher conferences. They are always amazed at the growth both physically and academically of their child. All I've done is keep work samples from reading, writing, and math, photographs, and some anecdotes. This year I am keeping the same and adding oral development. And I am going to work on making rubrics to put in them for each content. That will be new for me. Next year, I'm going to start calling them assessment portfolios, rather than student portfolios.
Sarah

Emily Vanderpool said...

hi theresa! it seems like a portfolio would be great for your students to track their growth in your class/curriculum. like the chapter mentioned you could start really small---like you could ask your students to make a criteria wall for whatever area you want to assess, and go from there. Good Luck!

languagemcr said...

Theresa,
Yes, I like the idea in your situation of keeping portfolios of students' progress and including activities that they can do with native speakers at home.
Exciting ideas!
Marilee