Monday, December 8, 2008

Authentic Assessment - Chapter 7 Content Area Assessment

This chapter identified different ways of assessing area content and planning for instruction. The two new reforms of Thinking Curriculum and Standards of Performance were discussed and designed for all learners for their higher-order thinking and for higher order standard performance. The basic assessment approaches are all good suggestions particularly the vocabulary assessment that I can use with students in higher grades to practice with their vocabulary skills. For example, I may assess my students with vocabulary in sensing and inferring relationships. The other two basic assessment approaches I plan to use are assessing students with short stories using the conceptual knowledge and the reading comprehension. I like this reading because it gave suggested guidelines on content assessment and scoring rubrics for teachers to use with students in the classroom.

2 comments:

languagemcr said...

Theresa,
Since you are a teacher that focuses specifically on language, this is an interesting chapter for you. I like the ideas you posted on how you can incorporate higher thinking into your curriculum.
Thanks!
Marilee

sarahbass said...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS - THERESA!
I AM WONDERING WHAT YOU MEAN BY "SENSING AND INFERRING RELATIONSHIPS".
sARAH