Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Chapter 1 & 2 CALLing

Chapter 1 & 2
Sarieva, I., & Zoran, A. (2007). Guiding principles: second language acquisition, instructional technology, and the constructivist framework. In T. Erben & I. Sarieva (Eds.). CALLing all foreign language teachers: computer-assisted language learning in the classroom (pp. 7-12). Larchmont, NY: Eye On Education, Inc.

Summary: 1 & 2
Chapter one introduction welcomed all foreign language teachers to technology in the classroom. This chapter talked about the table of contents – what to expect from the sections and chapter about technology.
Chapter two talked using the 5Cs in technology to have proficiency in a foreign language.
Classroom technology is integrating to help students to construct their knowledge through engaging with others, the teacher, and the materials. The seven (SLA) hypotheses are used to guide the computer-assisted language learning that may help teachers to become good managers.

Reflection: I look forward to learning about technology use in the classroom. I hope to learn more about technology to help my students to communicate and learn Yup’ik from other districts. It will be interesting to find out how students can learn second language through technology. I hope to guide my students toward their learning.

Chapter 3
Erben, T., R., Jin, L., Summers, R. & Eisenhower, K. (2007). Using technology for foreign language instruction: creative innovation, research and applications. In T. Erben & I. Sarieva (Eds.). Calling all foreign language teachers: computer-assisted language learning in the classroom. (pp. 13-28). Larchmont, New York: Eye On Education, Inc.

Summary: 3
Chapter three suggests to set technology in the foreign language classrooms. Focused on showing the past and today’s research on computer-assisted language learning; technology impact; and what challenges and best practices technology has for foreign language classrooms.

Reflection: This chapter interests me with all the good things about technology in the classroom. It will probably have some learning impact, but I think it will not cover everything. If technology works for second language learning in the future, I will be happy for my students. (I like my cell phone, but I still need to learn from it.)

No comments: