Friday, September 19, 2008

Moving Toward Authentic Assessment

What is a genuine test or assessment? The chapter defined authentic assessment as "multiple forms of assessment that reflect student learning, achievement, motivation, and attitudes which are included in performance assessment, portfolios, and student self-assessment." There are several standard performance assessment that I use with my students in high school and upper elementary grades for Yup'ik; a couple or more standards for project-portfolio; and other standards for skills assessment. I like using authentic assessment with my students. This kind of assessment helps me to see where my students can be able to make a learning performance. When I tell a student that s/he is advanced in a particular standard on a level, the student is often motivated to learn more and has an advantage to help others who need it. I often hear some students answer a question for other students who ask for a word or phrase in Yup'ik. The project-portfolio is leaned toward a student's accomplishments in creating a craft or learning values of Yuuyaraq. The skills assessment are other standards mainly under Yup'ik language and fluency where students study and learn during class time. Students are given individual testing when they are ready for skills assessment. A couple of characteristics of performance assessment which I try to use with my students are constructed response and authenticity.

No comments: