Monday, September 22, 2008

Testing, testing...What is a language test?

I remember when I first took a language test back in Wrangell Institute third grade classroom in reading and math. We young natives were seated separately around large tables with a booklet and a pencil. I remembered none of the reading test, but I was totally confused on a large division problem. It had two digit divisors and about five dividends. I had no idea on how to solve it and this has always been in my memory. Since then I have experienced taking English tests through elementary, high school, and college. To me, language testing is testing to check ones knowledge in reading, writing, math, etc. and how the learners will use that knowledge in a real life world. When I use language testing in my classroom, the scores help me to look for ways to teach better and to find ways how students learn best.

3 comments:

Emily Vanderpool said...

Thanks for sharing your story here Theresa--It' very interesting to hear a little of the history of language testing in AK. Funny that the research has shown these type of assessments aren't effective, yet as a nation/state we still use them, and they have "high stakes!"

languagemcr said...

Theresa,
It's interesting how vivid some of our testing memories are. I think we feel the pressure that surrounds them. What tests have you used that give you the most information about students' progress?
Marilee

Carol said...

Your comment reminds me of the assessments we had to take when I was in I think 3rd grade. I think they were CAT tests. I remember reading, and not understanding what I've just read and filled in any answer to the multiple choice question. There were terms I didn't know, somethings I wasn't familiar to. Quyana for sharing. Naniruar